Richdad
Last year

Brisbane Bullets Rebuild

It's clear the bullets need a rebuild. Which players do you keep from their current roster & who do you get rid of?

What players do you go after?

If I’m Brisbane I’m signing a Brisbane local who’s family is here in Will McDowell White as my PG, with Sobey I’m trying to ship him off for his final year & go after a scoring import at the shooting guard position. Also an import at the 3 position. I’d consider trying to lure back another Brisbane local in Brock Motum at the 4 spot. Noi has another year on his deal with Sydney but he could be a good fit the following year. Baynes, Harrison & Gak I’d bring back along with Cadee, Krebs & Stattman.

As long as Sobey is in this team, we will be lucky to get back to the playoffs let alone win a championship. Bullets finished 4th in 2018/19, Sobey then arrives in 2019/2020 & we finish 5th, 2020/2021 finish 6th, 2021/22 finish 8th & 2022/23 finish 9th.

The pattern is clear.

Love to see everyone’s thoughts.

Topic #50879 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Last year

Off the top of my head I think the Bullets have only got three players under contract for next season and obviously no coach.

Sobey (2 years)
Baynes (1 year)
Mitchell (1 year)

Although Baynes & Mitchell could be options, they both signed 2 year deals and Sobey a 3 year deal.

Reply #911273 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

Why on earth would McDowell-White give up a good situation in New Zealand to join this garbage fire of a franchise?

Reply #911275 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

^^^^^ players change clubs for money, yes they like winning but if nz didn't match a massive offer WMW would be gone.
I agree re Sobey, had a a couple seasons under Joey that were good but highly overrated and overhyped.

Reply #911276 | Report this post

koberulz  
Last year

No amount of money is worth putting up with how terrible Brisbane is. NZ aren't about to lowball him.

Reply #911277 | Report this post

Jack Knife  
Last year

Brisbane should see if they can get Norton and Blanchfield...could be a win/win

Reply #911278 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Last year

Brisbane is an interesting one because there's no lack of talent there. The first priority is getting a great coach who can mould it into a unit.

Reply #911279 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

I'm usually wrong about these things. Isn’t WMW already contracted for next year to NZ?

Reply #911280 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

I had thought WMW was locked up with NZ too KET. If he's not, the Sixers should be chasing him!

Reply #911283 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

He's not, WMW only signed another 1 year deal with NZB so he'll be a free agent at the end of the season.

Reply #911286 | Report this post

KET  
Last year

You're right from spatial jam, geez he’ll get top $$$

I think he stays imo in NZ

Reply #911288 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last year

WMW should be a marquee at a club, you would think he stays but it'll cost. United would be right into him if Illi doesn’t make it.

Reply #911292 | Report this post

Ben  
Last year

Forget the WMW pipe dream. Said himself on a podcast at start of season that he likes NZ and hadn't entertained playing in Brisbane as doesn’t want the pressure of playing in front of family/friends.

Reply #911294 | Report this post

Beantown  
Last year

In that case Zodiac, I hope the Sixers have a good look at whether they can afford to poach WMW from NZ. Probably can't outbid them, but he's one of the few Aussie point guards worth pursuing!

Reply #911298 | Report this post

The gap between WMW and the next best NBL based Aussie point guard is huge. He should get some serious coin thrown in his direction.

Reply #911299 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Beantown,

As much as I like WMW he would probably be able to command McCarron-level money and even though it's not my money I wouldn't like to see us spending superstar money on two PG's. As ordinary a PG as McCarron is I don't think we could start him at any other position.

I think we might just have to put up with McCarron for the last season of his contract and consider a replacement for him this time next year.

Reply #911301 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Last year

Siulepa likely a NS, although not sure it'll be next season.

Reply #911313 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Last year

I get the sense Sobey will be kept for 23-24. But could a backup PG option be Pero's son, Flynn Cameron? Demonstrated his talent at last yesr’s Asia Cup and is finishing his senior season at UC Riverside.

Fair to say they didn’t get the imports right - then again, we all knew that with Devondrick Walker signed early. Needing to find two capable wings, one who can make plays for others, will be key to balance Baynes, Sobey and Mitchell.

Reply #911325 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

Ok, so this is what I know:

1. Baynes and Sobey are signed for next season
2. Sobey has a Team Option for the following season
3. DJ Mitchell and Lual Diing both have a Team Option for next season
4. DJ Mitchell and Tanner Krebs want to stay, but want multi-year deals
5. Tyler Johnson really wants to stay, but his Management team are talking to Brisbane as well as other teams
6. Whilst Vandy has thrown his hat into the ring for the coaching role, word is that there is a very small chance he will get it. Pero Cameron is the favourite to get it, he has a very good rapport with the players.

Now for the big one (which was a big surprise to me):

7. Since the NBL still technically owns the Bullets, they were only allowed to offer minimum 1 year deals to players, with a very select few for multiple year deals.

The memorandum finishes as of the end of this season. The Ownership Group will have full control going into the off-season.

So apparently the owners can now open their big fat wallets and pay more for players, without any restrictions from the NBL.

Whether people believe this or not, is up to them. Either way, Jason Levien and the rest of the Owners need to walk the walk now. He went on Liam's podcast and said he will be more hands-on, so here is his chance to prove it.

As for the roster, I would re-sign Mitchell, Gak, Krebs, Johnson, Stattmann. Harrison and Froling need to both go (seems harsh on Harry considering what has happened to him recently). The Harrison experiment has run its course and the guy has the maturity of a 10 year old.

TJ would be perfect as the back-up PG. But what happens to Cadee then? His veteran presence is valueable. He would be a great assistant coach when he decides to hang them up.

White didn't find his feet and was caught up in all the mess. Maybe he needs a full season to fully show what he can do. His 3pt stroke is amazing when he gets a decent pass.

WDW is off-contract at the end of this season. I don't expect him to sign with Brisbane, but all I want is for Sam to at least have a chat to him and his Management team.

And just puting this out there - I also heard Lamar Patterson is applying for his citizenship too lol

Reply #911329 | Report this post

The Bratt  
Last year

As an Australian I would sign Patterson in a heartbeat he is looking fitter

Reply #911337 | Report this post

Richdad  
Last year

Statman84 I have been talking to Lamar at my gym (Hibiscus) and he's determined to get back to the NBL & is working his butt off. To me he looks in great shape & I think he’s a year younger than Sobey. Yes he did say he has applied but doesn’t know how long it will take.

Reply #911338 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Last year

Reply #911339 | Report this post

Statman84  
Last year

I am all for LP to come back as a local, especially if he is back in shape. He would definitely be worth it.

Reply #911343 | Report this post

Pablo Escobar  
Last year

If he couldn't get in shape playing as an import, what says he'll be better as a local where the pressure to keep your job is less?

Reply #911345 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Last year

Exactly, he had plenty of time to get into shape and even as an import couldn't do it. He might be in good shape now trying to get a contract but once naturalised unfortunately I could see him blowing right out.

It's a shame I really liked watching Patterson and wanted to see him beat the battle but the Bullets gave him plenty of opportunities to get in shape as did the Breakers and that is part and parcel of being a pro baller.

Reply #911347 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Last year

Would love to see Patterson as a local. This is where I dislike the the 3 import rule. It's meant to be the National Basketball League.

Keep the normal 3 import rule but if a player wants to commit staying in Australia long term like Cotton then count them as locals but they have to commit to their contract if not then teams have to wait till next season. It will make nbl teams stronger and more depth on the bench.

Make it happen NBL because the Asian player rule doesn’t seem to work so just open it up. Would even rather European import spot, we get barely any decent euro players playing in the NBL.

Reply #911367 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:12 pm, Tue 21 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754