LHY
Last month

NBL1 Incorrect Stats

What percentage of the time would you estimate statisticians get stats wrong in game?

Been tracking a few players who've had their points assigned to the wrong player and had wrongful missed shots assigned to them - its surely impacting careers when they have lower averages than normal. Is it possible to get it changed in retrospect after the game?

Topic #51936 | Report this topic

Sebastian  
Last month

Impacting careers lol

Reply #940081 | Report this post

BigD  
Last month

You may "lol" at it, but it actually is a big deal when it comes to impacting on players ability to pick up new jobs, especially when it comes to the imports. Many don't understand how important accurate stats is for them.

Both BigV and NBL1 stuff up the stats massively every week, but I don't blame the stats people, they're very poorly paid and thus the struggle to get good people. Not to mention a complete lack of training and coaching on how to accurately call the stats. A stats crew, to be accurate, does require three people (caller, input & spotter), but nearly always only two people get put on to save costs and because there's a real shortage of volunteers. It's that bad that I know of many teams that do it themselves afterwards to get accurate stats on their team.

There was a few games last season where teams scored over 100 points, but would only have two assists as a team, now that's a "lol".

Reply #940083 | Report this post

LHY  
Last month

Great points "bigD" I hadnt even considered the climate of underpaid statisticians.

Dont want to play a blame game but its even more than people looking at players end of season stats for imports. A recent example for me was a player I know being, on the stat sheet, 1/6 at half time from three when infact they were 2/5. Thier coach took them and opted for a taller line up to start the second because "their guards werent giving them anything" based upon the stats the coaching staff assumed to be accurate and all it took was one miscredited make to a teammate and one teammates miss miscredited to them! Now the coaching staff should know better and yes the player could do better to not be so on the cusp of the starting line-up but the stat sheet reading 16.66% instead of 40% doesnt help.

Reply #940084 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Last month

Hasn't changed in years, even in the old seabl days.

Reply #940085 | Report this post

Billo  
Last month

I agree with you BigD when it comes to incorrect stats each week in the BigV and NBL1 South. But i am sure it happens everywhere, the stats people are human and make mistakes especially if they are distracted.
Last year in the NBL1 South a women's team scored around the 80-85 point mark from memory and only had 1 assist!! Just not correct.
And 2 weeks ago I saw a 3 pointer given to a player who was sitting on the bench at the time. It shouldn't happen but it does. But I have made many mistakes as a parent on the scorebench over the years.

Reply #940086 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

1 or 3 errors across the course of a season is not significantly going to impact a players season stats when looking for a new contract. Let's not get hysterical here. All imports get a highlights package put together to show what they can do. A missed basket or missed assist is not going to change that and it happens all over the world.

If you want better stats pay better money.

Reply #940096 | Report this post

Devo  
Last month

I expect this to get worse. 2 years ago the NBL decided that all NBL stats would be done from Melbourne.
Only 1 stats person at each venue is required to be present now. This means that there is no avenue for stats people aspire to so people who have done it for years just walked away. Only NBL stats people are paid. Local leagues are volunteers.

Reply #940098 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Last month

You are correct Devo, the NBL compile all their stats in the replay centre with 2 appointed where they have the ability to go back and check every angle and get it correct.

Reply #940101 | Report this post

Anon  
Last month

Devo,
I can say that Victorian statisticians are paid at all levels.

Still not enough, but we get paid.

Reply #940107 | Report this post

Devo  
Last month

Thanks Anon. Been 4-5 years since I've been involved in SA NBL1 and longer for NBL. Strictly voluntary at that point in NBL1. We even supplied our own equipment at the local club I was involved.

Reply #940153 | Report this post

SonicBoomer  
Last month

$25 a game and bring your own laptop. Makes it feel more like a chore. My kid does it for some extra shoe money and is reasonably good, while from what I've seen the software platform they have to use is pretty buggy and unreliable

Reply #940345 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 am, Wed 1 May 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754